Thursday 17 May 2012

A Note on Radio Guys

Back in 2010, when the San Diego Padres were in the race for the National League West title, I found myself often tuning in to their broadcasts. One of the things I do for Nationals (and other teams I might follow closely) is keep score. But when I do a 'bedtime broadcast', picking up a West Coast game not involving a team I am tracking, is just listen. It isn't quite an aural wallpaper, because I'm listening to hear opinions of other players, but I don't pay as close attention as I would to the mighty duo of Charlie Slowes and Dave Jageler.

Well, except I also have a habit of listening to the visiting broadcasts on GameDay Audio. I do this to get insight into the park.

Back in 2010, I was entertained by Leitner's voice, but this time I found his commentary made it very difficult to track the game statistically. (He also offered some bone-headed views on sabermetrics.) I post a negative note because this is the first time a visiting broadcaster has driven me away from their coverage in quite a while. I'm not sure if I've changed or if Leitner has.

No comments: